Call for Board & Committee Members & Jurors 2017
Eyelevel Gallery is a not-for-profit registered charity dedicated to the development, promotion, and presentation of contemporary visual art. A keen interest in contemporary art and willingness to work with a variety of individuals on a regular basis is essential. Eyelevel strives to hold within our Board and committees a well-rounded set of skills and perspectives that can ensure we successfully deliver our mandate to our membership, and the broader community that we serve.
Acknowledging the lack of diversity in our Board and Committees, we will give priority to community members who identify as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Colour). Eyelevel does not discriminate based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, age, or ability.
Please send an email indicating your qualifications & interest to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible for consideration in January 2017.
CALL FOR JURORS
Submission review (online) will take place 17 to 31 January, with an orientation 19 January, and in person jurying process Sunday 2 February 2017 (in person).
Ideal jurors have experience with jurying proposals for exhibitions/projects/grants, are practising artists, writers, or curators, and see exciting potential in the spaceless programming model. Experience with artist-run centres (either as the artist, or the centre) is an asset.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board members are responsible for overseeing the direction and well being of the organization, providing:
Purpose, by establishing and implementing ELG’s mandate;
Continuity, by providing continuity for managing and implementing ELG’s affairs;
Progress, by setting future direction that ELG takes in reaching its mandate;
Identity, by securing community support and appreciation for ELG’s objects, beliefs, vision, mission, and long-term direction.
The specific responsibilities of the Board are:
- Attend 1 monthly meeting and the Annual General Meeting (2 hours per month)
- Participate in 1 committee (4-10 hours per month)
- Serve as an ambassador for ELG and the broader arts community.
- Work respectfully alongside the Director, Board and Committee members to develop and deliver the longterm vision of the organization.
- Review the quarterly financial statements as presented by the Treasurer.
- Provide support for the Director however you are best able
Like all Boards, ours is financially responsible for the non-profit organization, and required by law to fulfill governance duties. Terms are a minimum 2-year commitment.
Ideal members at this time have experience with community organizing/event planning, publicity/outreach, legal/contractual, or sponsorship/fundraising.
Three years in, Eyelevel is committed to exploring the artistic potential in this nomadic programming model. We're working on a seasonal schedule. Winter/spring will centre around planning, and summer/fall will focus on the execution of projects.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Attend 1 to 2 meetings monthly (2 to 4 hours per month)
- Minimal "homework" such as artistic research/jurying/grant support
- Active participation during our programming season (either through project/artist support or attendance)
Ideal members are practicing artists with a passion for artist-run approaches and a brave and critical engagement with contemporary art. Technical or installation skills are an asset.
Without a gallery space we're lacking a social connection with our community. Eyelevel is building gathering opportunities into our year's activities—from fundraising initiatives, parties, picnics, field trips, reading groups, to a bowling team—and we need your energy to make this happen!
Specific responsibilities are:
- Attend 1 monthly meeting (2 hours per month)
- Active participation in activities
- Dedicated time around fundraising initiatives
Ideal members have a boundless energy, a love of community organizing, and/or are up to the challenge of bringing in some cold hard cash.